Monday, April 28, 2014

Look Out!!

I would like to do something here that I've never done before. Maybe once it's done, I will know why I shouldn't have tried and know not to do it again; but until I then, if I don't try I'll never know how it'll go.

What I would like to do includes you. It may not include all of you, as I really have no idea who my 'audience' is, but I am thinking that what I am about to do will apply to at least 2, if not 3 of you. Maybe more?

I'd like to do a Book Talk with you. I love to read. But what I love more is to discuss what I've read. Seeing as I can't truly discuss things at an intellectual (cough, cough) level with my 4 year old, I thought I'd do this with you.

I have a book in mind, and what I am envisioning is that in about 2 weeks or so, and every week after that, we "meet" here (say, every Thursday?), where I will highlight a few points in the chapter that we've read; points that really stand out for me, you know, the "food for thought" type, and you can as well. The book I have in mind also has questions at the end of the chapter, and that can also stimulate a discussion here via the comments etc.

So what's the book, you ask? Are you ready for it? Actually, telling you the book that I have in mind is the scariest part because of, well, I'll let you be the judge:


You read the title right: She's Gonna Blow! Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger by Julie Ann Barnhill.

But why *that* book?!

And this is what I am scared to admit, but here goes: it fills me with shame and guilt to write that at times, I can be an angry mom. And I don't like it. Not one bit. I hate it. I hate what it does to my children, to my family, to myself, and most importantly to God. This book has been sitting on my shelf since Keziah was 6 months old. I finally dusted it off this past week.

Let me clarify something: no, I do not consider myself an angry person all the time. However, there have been moments in the last 4.5 years where I felt I was going to blow. And there have been moments where I, unfortunately, did.

The fact that this book is out there tells me that I am not the only one. That doesn't mean this gives me permission, with the attitude of "oh well, it's okay and normal, all part of raising kids." No, instead, the fact that there is a book tells me that support is needed. Support, encouragement, and prayer to banish these volcanic moments.

And so, knowing that others also may be struggling with handling their anger (which is not always shown in an aggressive manner, but passively as well), I thought we'd tackle this book together, to support, strengthen, and encourage each other through "meeting" here every Thursday.

And if this book doesn't "include" you, I am sorry. However, if  this first Book Talk idea goes well (I have no idea how I will measure that....quite possibly the fact that I actually started a parenting book and finish it could very well be the only positive thing about doing it this way, as doing this will hold me accountable.), then the next one will be on a different topic, quite possibly nothing to do with being a mom.

Shall we try? I hope and pray it'll be just as beneficial for you as it will be for me.

So go, order your book (I got mine from Amazon) and we will meet here to 'discuss' the first chapter on Thursday, May 8th, just in time for Mother's Day :o) I think that gives you enough time to receive the book.

5 comments:

  1. Love it, Michelle! :) Your honesty is always refreshing. I will try to order mine today ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your thoughts when we "meet" on Thursdays, as we tackle this together.

      Delete
  2. Dear Cousin, I would LOVE to read this book! I probably won't have it in time for next Thursday's Chapter 1 discussion, but could I perhaps "join" you for Chapter 2?
    Thank you for your honesty!! You are most definitely not alone :/
    Steph Visser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      By all means! Join whenever it works for you!! Just be sure that if you don't have the book yet by the time we are on Chapter 2, you don't blow up. :o)) The chapters are fairly short and *very* easy to read, so it'll be easy to catch up.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing this - my book came in yesterday. Now to hunker down and read! Linda T

    ReplyDelete